As a reminder, all weather-related closing and campus emergencies are communicated via UNL Alert. Decisions to close the campus for inclement weather are based on a number of safety factors, including current and near future weather predictions, road conditions within the city of Lincoln and the area, access to Lincoln via highways and roads, the condition of campus parking lots and sidewalks and guidance from local and emergency management agencies.
Weather-related closures are made available several ways:
- They will be posted to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's web page, http://www.unl.edu, as well as to the university’s social-media channels such as Twitter (@UNLincoln, @UNLNews and Facebook;
- Radio and TV stations will be notified of closures by 5 a.m. for day classes and 2 p.m. for night classes;
- The university operator will provide closure information to anyone who calls Nebraska’s main switchboard, 402-472-7211;
- Site-specific off-campus closings will be made by the responsible administrator and communicated locally; and
- Athletic and performing arts events may or may not be affected. In the event of a closure, ticket-holders to athletic events or on-campus performances should call ahead to see if those events will be held.
Certain positions, such as police and snow-removal personnel, have been identified as essential during weather closings. Those employees are made aware of the designation when hired. Employees should assume they are not needed during weather emergencies unless they have been told otherwise.
When the university is closed because of inclement weather, all regular office/service and managerial/professional personnel scheduled to work will be considered on paid administrative leave. Essential employees who work during a weather shutdown will receive time off at a later date. At departmental discretion, regular hourly paid employees may receive additional pay in lieu of time off.