Employee and Dependent Tuition Assistance
Full-time and retired employees who wish to continue their education may be eligible for tuition assistance through the employee scholarship program. Spouses and dependent children may also be eligible for this benefit. To register for these tuition remission programs, use the Employee Self Service (Firefly).
- The Employee Scholarship is limited to no more than fifteen (15) credit hours in any 12-month period (August through July) and is normally restricted to no more than six (6) credit hours per semester.
- The Dependent Scholarship limits the maximum total number of credit hours that may be transferred by an employee to one or more dependents to be the equivalent of fifteen (15) semester credit hours in any 12 month period (July through August) and is restricted to no more than nine (9) credit hours per semester. In order for dependents to be eligible to use the scholarship for summer sessions, they must have been enrolled full time in the University of Nebraska system in the preceding spring semester.
For details, read University of Nebraska Employee and Dependent Scholarship Programs.
Employee Emergency Loan Fund
The EAP administers a loan fund designed to assist university employees in financial crisis who have exhausted all means of obtaining financial assistance in an emergency. The Employee Emergency Loan Fund was established and funded by donations from university employees, employee groups, and friends. No State or other university moneys are used by this fund. All money borrowed is interest free and is paid back into the fund by payroll deduction.
For details, visit https://hr.unl.edu/eap/loan.shtml
Crisis Leave Program
Employees may apply to receive from the crisis leave pool up to the number of days of vacation they accrue in one calendar year, not to exceed 24 days. Employees who have exhausted all of their available sick leave, vacation leave, and compensatory leave that is applicable to their crisis are eligible to apply for crisis leave for the following reasons:
- The serious illness of the employee or the employee's spouse
- The serious illness of the employee's child, stepchild, or parent, or a person bearing the same relationship to the employee's spouse
For details and eligibility, visit https://hr.unl.edu/er/crisisleave
Retirement and Investment Counseling with Fidelity Investments and TIAA
- Call to schedule a counseling session when TIAA representatives are on campus, 800-732-8353.
- Call to schedule a counseling session when Fidelity Investments representatives are on campus, 800-642-7131.