Employee Onboarding

Welcome to the University of Nebraska. The steps below will guide you through the process of setting up your access to services throughout the University system. After completing this process, services will be activated within 24–48 hours. All of these steps can be completed before you arrive on-campus. You can also download a printable PDF version of these steps using the button below.

View Printable Version of the Onboarding Steps

Things to Do

1. Get Your NUID

To start, you will need your NUID. The NUID is an 8-digit identification number, also known as your TrueYou account. Your department will provide an NUID to you or you may look it up at the TrueYou website.

2. Claim Your Identity

Visit the TrueYou website to claim your identity and set passwords for two accounts: TrueYou and My.UNL. Both accounts are needed to access services at UNL.

  1. First, activate your TrueYou account, which accesses services provided by the University of Nebraska to all campuses.
  2. Next, set the password for your My.UNL account (username = hhusker1), which accesses services provided by UNL.


  • Go to the TrueYou website and Select the "Claim Your ID" link
  • Enter your NUID and your Social Security Number OR personal email address you provided during the hiring process. Set your password and create your security questions, which will enable you to reset your passwords if you forget.
  • View this visual guide on how to claim your employee account for more detailed instructions.
  • Note: If you have difficulty claiming your accounts please contact the UNL Information Technology Services Help Center at 402-472-3970.

3. Activate Your email

Activate your UNL email (Microsoft Office 365). You can activate your email two hours after your NUID is generated.

4.  Get Your NCard

Get your physical ID card (NCard) at the NCard Office in the Nebraska Union. 

  • After your NUID has been generated, please allow for overnight processing of the NUID before going to the NCard Office. A goverment issued photo identification is required to get your NCard.
  • You may submit your photo online ahead of time through the NCard website or You can get your photo taken when you pick up your card at the NCard Office

5.  Enroll in Benefits

If you are eligible for benefits, you may enroll prior to your first day and benefits will become effective on the first day of the month following your start date. You must submit your completed benefits forms to your Campus Benefits Office within 31 days of your hire date.

  • Complete the benefits enrollment process online through Firefly. "Firefly" is the employee portal for benefits enrollment, leave balances, payroll and more. Use your TrueYou Account (NUID) to access Firefly.

6.  Get More Services

Talk to your department representative about what other services you may need:

Academic and Learning Services – talk to your department about enabling instructor access to courses.

7.   Attend Orientation

New Employee Orientation sessions are offered monthly. Find a session here