The University of Nebraska offers an extensive benefits package that includes health, life, disability and long term care insurance; retirement accounts; tuition reimbursement for employees and their spouses and dependent children; and reimbursement accounts for health care and dependent day care. Leave policies are designed to help employees deal with personal or family events or crises. Please refer to the University of Nebraska Benefits site for information.

Contact us with your questions

The university's third-party administrators of our health and dental plans are  UMR for our health plan and Ameritas for our dental plan. CVS Caremark provides our pharmacy insurance.

Health plan enrollees with employee-only coverage receive one ID card from UMR. Health plan enrollees with a spouse, adult designee, or children on their plan receive two ID cards. You may call UMR to request additional cards, print temporary cards from the portal once you have registered, or order additional cards from the portal. UMR cards serve as both your health and pharmacy insurance card; there is not a separate pharmacy ID card. Additional information on using your UMR card is available here.

Dental plan members receive two ID cards from Ameritas regardless of your coverage level. If you’d like additional Ameritas ID cards, you may call Ameritas to order another set or create a secure account at to access the ID cards electronically or order additional cards.

Health Savings Account (HSA)

Starting January 1, 2020, the University of Nebraska will be offering an employer-sponsored Health Savings Account (HSA) option. Employees must be enrolled in the university’s qualified high deductible health plan to take advantage of the HSA. The HSA will allow an employee to set aside personal pre-tax dollars into an HSA to be used for qualified medical expenses. All employees have the opportunity to make changes to their benefits during our annual benefits enrollment which will begin October 28th and end November 15th.

Would you like to learn more?  The recording from the information session will be posted here soon. 

Employee Self Service (ESS)

Firefly is the online access for benefit eligible employees to their personal data stored in SAP, the university's administrative computing system.

Part-Time Employees Eligibility

You are eligible for the NUFlex benefits program if you are employed in a "Regular" position with an FTE of .5 or greater.

Temporary Employees Eligibility

You are eligible for the NUFlex benefits program (except for University contributions to retirement) if you are employed in a "Temporary" position for more than 6 months with an FTE of .5 or greater.

NOTE: Departments are responsible for notifying temporary employees when they become eligible for insurance benefits. 

Individuals appointed to a temporary position for more than six consecutive months are eligible for insured benefits from the beginning of the appointment, or from the date a prior appointment is extended to exceed six months, provided the position is half-time or greater. Those appointed for six consecutive months or less are not eligible for any leave with pay or other university benefits. 

An employee who is reappointed to the same or different position in the same or different department during or after the first six months of a temporary appointment without a break in service is eligible for benefits as soon as their appointment is changed to be greater than six months. 

An employee who is reappointed to the same or different position after the first six months of a temporary appointment with a break in service is eligible for benefits if the second appointment is made in the same month in which the separation from the first appointment occurs. 

Benefits for eligible temporary employees include the following: health and life insurance, sick and vacation leave, injury leave, civil leave, inclement weather leave, and military leave. Temporary employees are not eligible for tuition remission, administrative leave, funeral leave, or University contributions to retirement.

You can read the Insured Benefits policy here.