The steps below will guide you through the process of setting up your access to services throughout the university system. All of these steps can be completed as soon as you receive your Nebraska University Identification (NUID), even if it is before you arrive on campus. Services will be activated within 24–48 hours after you claim or activate each process.
Printable Version of these Steps
1. Obtain Your NUIDThe NUID is a unique 8-digit number created for you. Your department will provide you with your NUID or you may look it up by visiting the TrueYou.nebraska.edu website.
2. Claim Your Online IdentityClick the button below to claim your online identity and set the passwords for your TrueYou and MyUNL accounts. TrueYou credentials are used at all University of Nebraska campuses and Nebraska State Colleges to access the Student Information System, SAP and Firefly. Your MyUNL login is used to access online services provided by the university (e.g. email) services.
Claim My Online Identity
- Go to trueyou.nebraska.edu.
- Click the Claim Your ID button.
- Enter your NUID and the email you used when you applied for the position (or your Social Security Number). Click the Next button.
If you do not know your NUID, click the Look Up Your NUID? link and provide the requested information. Click Lookup Account ID and write down your NUID and click Return Home. This will take to you back to step #2 above.
- Complete the fields for setting your password and authentication answers, then click the Submit button. You will see a list of your accounts at the bottom of this page.
- You should see "Success" on the screen. If the screen reads, "Failed," please contact the Huskertech Help Center at 402-472-3970.
3. Activate/Enable Other ServicesObtain your NCard by completing the online application the day after your NUID has been generated. The NCard serves as the official identification card as well as provides access to services on campus.
Your email will be assigned after your HR paper work has been completed. Your email address will be your campus network I.D. (your first initial, last name, and a number). E.g. email@example.com.If you have a student or alumni @huskers.unl.edu account it will merge with your new faculty/staff @unl.edu account upon activation of your appointment. You will still be able to receive @huskers.unl.edu email, but all messages you send will come from your @unl.edu address.
Ask your department about other services you may need:
- Building and door access may be needed if working on campus after business hours.
- For Academic and Learning Services, ask about access for Canvas (Learning Management System) and MyRed (Student Information Portal). You may also need the PI Regulatory Onboarding Checklist from the Office of Research and Economic Development (ORED).
4. Plan your commute to campusAuto—Purchase a parking permit in person at 625 Stadium Drive, Suite A, or online. New permit purchase must occur when first parking on campus as an employee and can be paid through payroll deduction.
City Bus—Bus passes for StarTran are available at no cost if you purchase a regular university parking permit or can be purchased in person at 625 Stadium Drive, Suite A or online
Bicycle—If you bike to campus, please register your bike with the UPD and LPD. Read about the university’s bike policy and regulations.
Download the Nebraska app which includes campus maps. Android and iOS devices are supported.