Welcome to the University of Nebraska. The steps below will guide you through the process of setting up your access to services throughout the University system. After completing this process, services will be activated within 24–48 hours. All of these steps can be completed before you arrive on-campus. You can also download a printable PDF version of these steps using the button below.
Printable Version of theSE Steps
Things to Do
Obtain Your NUID
The NUID is a unique 8-digit number created for you. Your department will provide you with your NUID or you may look it up by visiting the TrueYou.nebraska.edu website.
Claim Your Online Identity
Click the button below to claim your online identity and set the passwords for your TrueYou and MyUNL accounts. TrueYou credentials are used at all University of Nebraska campuses and Nebraska State Colleges to access the Student Information System, SAP and Firefly. Your MyUNL login is used to accesses online services provided by UNL (e.g. email). services.
- Go to trueyou.nebraska.edu by clicking the button above.
- Click the "Claim Your ID" button.
- Enter your NUID and the email you used when you applied for the position (or your Social Security Number). Click the "Next" button.
- If you do not know your NUID, click the "Look Up Your NUID?" link and provide the requested information. Click "Lookup Account ID" and write down your NUID and click "Return Home." This will take to you back to step #2 above.
- Fill out appropriate fields.
- Select a campus account. You will need to change the password for each account individually.
- Supply a new password and click 'Update Password'.
- You must provide answers to at least four of the security questions and then click "Submit."
You should see "Claim Account process success" on the screen. If the screen reads, "Claim Account Process failed," please contact the Huskertech Help Center at 402-472-3970.
Activate/Enable Other Services (in any order)
The NCard is the university’s multifunctional campus card. It serves the official identification card as well as provides access to services on campus. The day after your NUID has been generated, you can complete the online NCard application.
Activate your email (available the day after you have claimed your identity). You may want to consult with your department's tech support for assistance first.
- Login using your MyUNL credentials.
- A webpage will display your identity and account information.
- You may choose a preferred email address (alias) at this time. It's common to use your firstname.lastname@example.org (e.g. email@example.com)
Ask your department about other services you may need:
- For building and door access, see your supervisor or department representative.
- Parking and StarTran Bus Passes from Parking & Transit Services
- If you bike to campus, please register your bike with the University Police Department
- Firefly (Employee Portal) is needed to enroll in employee benefits and other services
- Wireless access for mobile devices
- Academic and Learning Services
Talk to your department about enabling access for:
Attend a New Employee Orientation session
Find an available New Employee Orientation session here