Unemployment Insurance Benefits

Unemployment insurance is a benefit to eligible workers who become unemployed through no fault of their own or meet certain eligibility requirements. Benefits are paid from the Nebraska Department of Labor Office of Unemployment Insurance. Benefit eligibility and claims are determined by the Nebraska Department of Labor.

For information on unemployment benefits, please visit the Nebraska Department of Labor website or contact your nearest Job Center.  In Lincoln, this is located at 1111 O Street, Suite 205 and by phone at 402.413.9236. 


Unemployment Identity Theft and Unemployment Fraud

Unemployment Identity Theft

Unemployment fraud related to identity theft occurs when someone uses personal identifying information belonging to someone else to obtain unemployment benefits. If you receive a notice about unemployment claims from the Nebraska Department of Labor but you did not file a claim, or if you try to file an initial claim and one already exists for you, your personal identifying information may have been stolen and used fraudulently. 

Report Identity Theft and Fraud

Our office will contact the Department of Labor Unemployment office and let them know that you did not file an unemployment claim. 

Contact the Lincoln Police Department 402.441.6000 and report that you believe someone has fraudulently filed an unemployment claim in your name.

Contact the Nebraska Department of Labor to report the fraudulent claim NDOL.BPCUContact@nebraska.gov.

Unemployment Frequently Asked Questions

When should I file for unemployment?
File a new claim as soon as your employment ends or you begin working reduced hours. Your unemployment insurance claim is effective the week in which you apply.
Can I file for unemployment if I am not a U.S. citizen?
Who should I contact regarding my University Benefits?
Contact the UNL Benefits office at benefits@unl.edu.
How do I apply for benefits?
Claims can be filed at NEworks or you can visit your local Job Center.
What information do I need when I apply?
You will need the following information to apply for unemployment benefits:
  • Social Security Number
  • Complete home mailing address, including ZIP code
  • Telephone number
  • Email address
  • County you live in
  • Driver's license number or State ID card number
  • If you select direct deposit, your bank routing number and account number
  • The company names for all your employers from the past 18 months as they appear on your paycheck stubs or W-2 forms
  • Complete mailing addresses of employers, including ZIP code and the city in which the business is physically located
  • Your start and end dates with each employer, including month, day, and year
  • Your reason for leaving each employer (lack of work, voluntary quit, discharge, leave of absence)
  • Employment authorization number and expiration date (if a non-citizen)
  • If you served in the military the past 18 months, DD 214 Member #4 Form
  • If you worked for the federal government as a civilian employee in the last 18 months, Standard Form 8 or Standard Form 50. Also, compile your total wages earned with the federal employer in the last 18 months and indicate how you were paid (hourly, weekly, and monthly).
How long does a claim take to process?
Claims take up to 21 days to process.