Unemployment insurance is a benefit to eligible workers who become unemployed through no fault of their own or meet certain eligibility requirements. Benefits are paid from the Nebraska Department of Labor Office of Unemployment Insurance. Benefit eligibility and claims are determined by the Nebraska Department of Labor.
- Step-by-step Filing Claim Instructions
- Unemployment Insurance Instructional Videos
- Unemployment Insurance Handbook
- What to do if you suspect someone has filed for unemployment in your name
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I file for unemployment?File a new claim as soon as your employment ends or you begin working reduced hours. Your unemployment insurance claim is effective the week in which you apply.
Can I file for unemployment if I am not a U.S. citizen?Yes.
Who should I contact regarding my University Benefits?Contact the campus Benefits Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What information do I need when I apply?You will need the following information to apply for unemployment benefits:
- Social Security Number
- Complete home mailing address, including ZIP code
- Telephone number
- Email address
- County you live in
- Driver's license number or State ID card number
- If you select direct deposit, your bank routing number and account number
- The company names for all your employers from the past 18 months as they appear on your paycheck stubs or W-2 forms
- Complete mailing addresses of employers, including ZIP code and the city in which the business is physically located
- Your start and end dates with each employer, including month, day, and year
- Your reason for leaving each employer (lack of work, voluntary quit, discharge, leave of absence)
- Employment authorization number and expiration date (if a non-citizen)
- If you served in the military the past 18 months, DD 214 Member #4 Form
- If you worked for the federal government as a civilian employee in the last 18 months, Standard Form 8 or Standard Form 50. Also, compile your total wages earned with the federal employer in the last 18 months and indicate how you were paid (hourly, weekly, and monthly).