Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

When do I get paid?

Monthly – The pay date for monthly paid employees (i.e. Managerial/Professional, Faculty, Graduate Students, etc.) is the last working day of the month.  If the last day of the month is on a weekend or holiday, the pay date will be the first preceding work day.

Biweekly – The pay date for biweekly paid employees (i.e. Office Service, Students, On-Call, etc.) is every other Thursday based on the University Payroll schedule.

I did not get paid or I received only a portion of my wages.  What should I do?

Contact your department payroll coordinator.  They should help you determine why you did not get paid or why you only received a portion of your wages.

I did not receive my W-2 or I need a duplicate copy.  Who should I contact?

If you elected to receive an electronic W-2, you can obtain a printed copy of your W-2 in Firefly under Employee Self Service (ESS).  If not, you can obtain W-2 copies from the UNL Payroll Department at 401 Canfield Administration Building or email with your request and proof of identity.

Why doesn’t the Federal Gross Taxable Wages on my W-2 reflect my annual salary?

Your annual salary is reduced by pre-tax deductions (health/dental insurance premiums, retirement, etc.) to determine your taxable wages. Your taxable grosses are also listed each payday in the bottom YTD section of your pay advice.

How can I get a copy of my pay advice?

Pay advice copies can be viewed/printed from Firefly under Employee Self Service.

How can I update my W-4?

Your W-4 can be updated in Firefly under Employee Self Service.

How can I update my banking information (direct deposit, add a bank account, change a bank account)?

Bank information can be updated in Firefly under Employee Self Service.

How can I update my address?

You can update your address in Firefly under ESS or your department payroll office can assist you.

What is the employee Medicare tax rate?

The Medicare tax rate is 1.45%.  There is no wage base limit on Medicare taxes.  In addition to withholding the 1.45%, an additional 0.9% is withheld on wages in excess of $200,000 in a calendar year. 

What is the employee social security tax rate?

The social security tax rate is 6.2%.  The social security wage base limit for 2014 is $117,000.  Further details about Social Security taxes can be found on the Social Security Administration's website

If I have payroll questions or need assistance that my department payroll office cannot provide, do I need to make an appointment to speak with a UNL Payroll Services staff member? 

The best way to contact UNL Payroll Services with a question is to email  To make an appointment please email your meeting request to  Appointments are strongly recommended to ensure a payroll staff member is available to assist you.  If you need to speak with a Payroll Services staff member please call 402-472-2010.