The role of Risk Management is to protect and conserve the human, property, and financial resources of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. To this end the university uses a variety of financing methods that include self-insurance and commercial insurance. It is important that all faculty and staff participate in the Risk Management program in order to protect and conserve the assets of the university.

Person helping wrap injured wrist.

Workers Compensation

Workers' Compensation covers all employees of the university, including student workers. The coverage is for injuries arising out of and in the course of a person's employment. Workers Compensation pays the employee's medical bills and, if the employee is off more than five (5) days, Workers Compensation will pay 2/3 of the person's wages up to a statutory maximum. Human Resource policy allows an employee up to five (5) days of injury leave based on the normal hours the person worked. This can be used as long as there is a doctor's note stating the person should be off work. Work-related accidents should be reported to the Benefits Office immediately.

UNL campus overview


All property owned by the University is covered under a blanket property program that provides coverage at a replacement cost value. On any property loss the department will pay a deductible of $2,000. Property losses should be reported to the Risk Manager. The Risk Manager will administer property losses of under $500,000 and the property insurance carrier will administer losses above the $500,000.

dented car fender

Incident Report - Injury/Property Damage

If you have had a general incident, which does not fall under Workers' Compensation, please use this form to report the incident to Risk Management.

university fleet

Automobile Coverage

The University of Nebraska has liability coverage on all university vehicles used for business. For department owned vehicles there is an option to purchase full coverage for that vehicle with an extra charge to the department. Employees using personal vehicles on university business will have their personal auto insurance coverage, as primary and the university plan will be excess over this primary coverage. In the event of physical damage while used on university business the responsibility of the damage will be with the employee and their personal insurance. The university does not provide any coverage in this area. There are restrictions on who may drive and ride in a university vehicle. This information is on the Transportation Services website. Workers Compensation covers employees using a University vehicle on business. Students who ride in a University vehicle and are not employees have no coverage unless they have purchased the university's field trip insurance, which provides for $30,000 of accidental death coverage and $2,500 of accident medical coverage.

student in China.

Student Trip Insurance

Student Trip Insurance provides protection in the event of an accident. All University of Nebraska Students are required to have student trip insurance when traveling outside the city of Lincoln. Trips that are inside the city of Lincoln are not required to have Field Trip Insurance but are encouraged to do so.

Limits of Coverage: Accidental Death $30,000; Accident Medical Expense $2,500; Aggregate Limit $500,000.

All Student Field Trip Insurance requests should be turned in at least three (3) days prior to the departure date. Requests for insurance may be emailed to or faxed to 402-472-6803.

Student Field Trip Insurance

students in a crowd

Certificate of Insurance for Youth Safety

Non-university sponsoring organizations are required to have general liability coverage in the amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $3,000,000 aggregate that names the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska as an additional insured. If it is an athletic activity, the general liability coverage must include participant liability in the amount of $1,000,000. Certificates of insurance must be sent to the campus Risk Management Director at least 30 days prior to the start of the activity for review. A non-university sponsored organization activity may not begin without certificate of insurance approval by the campus Risk Management Director. Learn more about the University Youth Safety Policy...

union conference space

Certificate of Insurance for Facilities Use

Any outside group or entity that is using University property or facilities must provide a Certificate of Insurance with general liability limits of at least $1,000,000 with a $3,000,000 general aggregate (sporting events to include participant liability of $1,000,000 with $3,000,000 general aggregate) naming the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska as additional insured. The Certificate of Insurance must be approved by the campus Risk Management Director at least 30 days prior to the event.

Request an Insurance Certification

Certificate for Main Property Coverages, Builders Risk Coverages (use for any Builders Risk Project), Full Property Limits Coverage or leased equipment.

Request an Insurance Certificate

401 Canfield Administration Building South (ADMS)
501 N 14th St, Lincoln, NE 68588-0436
402-472-2600 | 402-472-6803 (fax)